Sunday, March 15, 2009

Quick, Rich Gluten-Free "Breaded" Italian Veggie Casserole

My Quick, Rich Gluten-Free "Breaded" Italian Veggie Casserole is something I happened upon when I bought a bunch of veggies and herbs, but when I got home I realized I forgot the rice pasta that was supposed to be the anchor for the dish.

But no matter, this spur-of-the-moment recipe turned out to be absolutely dee-lish and even lower carb than I had planned. This is so easy to throw together and so great that if you feed it to your guests they will think it came from a fancy restaurant and you spent gobs of time making it for them (definitely use as leverage!). You'll need about 5-10 minutes prep time and 55 min bake time:

  • 1/2 large organic white or yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 oz. organic fresh basil (about 50 grams or so), chopped
  • 3 medium-sized organic zucchini, sliced, about 1 cm thick each slice
  • 3 organic roma tomatos, sliced about same thickness as zucchini
In large glass oven-proof baking pan, pour about 2 tb olive oil. Stir chopped/sliced veggies into pan to just coat with the oil. Next you'll need:

  • Garlic powder, organic if possible
  • Dried organic oregano
  • Sea salt, organic if possible
  • Almond meal, organic if possible
The above three ingredients you may add to taste. I used about a teaspoon of garlic powder (enough to coat the veggies lightly when stirred again), several shakes of oregano (at least a few teaspoons for flavour) and about 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt. Stir the sea salt and veggies again to distribute salt. Spread mixture evenly in pan, then coat with 3/4 to 1 cup of almond meal (again, to your taste where you can use more or less). Veggies can be peeking through in spots here and there, but it should have a nice coating on top.

Sprinkle top of almond meal with another pinch or two of sea salt, then place in 400 degree oven for 55 minutes. Almond meal will be brown on the peaks and veggies will be soft, but not mushy. Cut into serving sizes of your choice and use spatula to serve. Refrigerate unused portion to reheat later on.

No comments: