Sunday, August 9, 2009

Malted Whey Protein Drink

This is a quick recipe for a mild, slightly sweet tasting protein drink that tastes similar to malted milk:
  • 200 ml unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I use Blue Diamond, which retails for $1.99 at Trader Joe's)
  • 2 - 30 cc scoops unsweetened whey protein
  • 1 generous sprinkle ground cinnamon
  • 3 mg inulin
  • 1-2 tsp olive oil
Warm the almond milk until just lukewarm, so as not to destroy the beneficial nutrients when adding in the whey protein. Add all other ingredients to the warmed almond milk and stir well.

I use this drink within 15 minutes after a workout at the recommendation of my health counselor to help re-build the lean muscle tissue that tended to decrease when I was ill. It is also really great right before bed, especially if you've been up late and your stomach is growling.

No comments: